22.9.08

Damien Hirst

I read a lot about Damien Hirst and all of the work he has done. I find what he does very interesting, although his art is not something that I would particularly invest my money in I think its great that other people appreciate his hard work. His artwork is unlike anything I have ever seen before, the concepts of putting real animals into his pieces and being able to walk around and view them is really incredible. The piece of work with the cow split into two, and being able to walk through it and see its insides is crazy to think about, and I would really like to view some of his pieces in person. More than just the concepts behind his artwork, the work that is put into them is incredible as well. Having to perserve the animals, and put the casting around them takes a lot of time, patience, and hard work. Before learning about Damien, if I saw his artwork I probably wouldn't have thought into it very much and would have surpassed it. After learning about his art and the work that goes behind it I have found a new respect level for him and his work. 

When reading about the auction that he had in London I was shocked. He raised $198 Million dollars. That amount of money is unimaginable and that really shows how much people appreciate his artwork. With what the economy is like today its crazy to think that some people have that much money to be spending on art when the rest of the world is trying to conserve their money. I think it is fabulous that people do appreciate his work and are willing to spend their money on it. I read many articles which stated that he had been having bad dreams about not getting any bids at the auction, he was woken to a great surprise. I am very happy that you had us look him up and learn more about him because I really enjoyed seeing the different aspects of art and realizing that some things that people wouldnt necessarily consider art, are very much so art to other people. 

No comments: